Thursday, July 29, 2010

Oriental Coleslaw

Before we start, go get a big bowl. No, bigger. Seriously, the biggest bowl you have. The first time I made this, I think I had to transfer it twice. There is a massive amount of this stuff when you’re mixing, but after it sits a while and comes together, it reduces by about half. Typing this recipe makes me want to go whip up a batch. I haven’t had it in a while and now I’m getting the craving for it. I’m not a fan of mayonnaise based slaw, and really don’t think cold raw cabbage sounds delicious at all. However, this recipe has an explosion of flavors and really goes well with a variety of main dishes.

1 pound pre-packaged coleslaw mix (shredded cabbage and carrots)

1 package chicken flavored ramen noodles

1 cup slivered toasted almonds (350 degrees on tin foil for a few minutes)

3 green onion, chopped (optional – I don’t use them)

½ cup sugar

½ cup vegetable oil

¼ cup vinegar

1 teaspoon salt

pepper to taste

Mix the dressing and ramen seasoning. Pour over slaw and mix well. Refrigerate over night. Immediately before serving, top with crushed ramen noodles (not cooked – crunchy right out of the package). Observation: I have found that I really don’t need all of the dressing, but I prefer to use it and right before I serve it, I add another ¼ - ½ bag of slaw so that there is some that's saturated and some that's crisp. Up to you!

No comments:

Post a Comment