Thursday, July 29, 2010

Chicken Marsala

I'm going to be honest.  I was extremely intimidated by this the first time I tried it.  It was the first time I ever cooked with wine, and I was cooking for my family so I wasn't even sure if they'd like it.  Like it?  They LOVED it.  My mom said that this is my "signature dish" and that I should serve it for company (because I have dinner guests oh-so-often)!  Forget company...make this for yourself.  It's a lot easier than you think, and after you cook it a few times, you'll be able to get it done in under 30 minutes.  What now, Rachael Ray?

4 boneless, skinless chicken breast halves (I usually split these and then pound them thin)

1/4 cup flour

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 teaspoon pepper

1/2 teaspoon dried oregano

4 tablespoons butter

4 tablespoons olive oil

1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms

1/2 cup Marsala wine

Combine the flour, salt, pepper and oregano.  Heat the oil and butter in a skillet until it bubbles.  Coat the chicken in the flour mixture, then shake off the excess.  Cook in the skillet for about two minutes, until it is lightly browned on one side.  Turn the chicken over, and add the mushrooms.  Cook another 2 minutes until the other side of the chicken is lightly browned.  Stir the mushrooms to cook evenly.  Add the wine and then cover the skillet, turn the heat down and simmer this for about 10 minutes.

Side notes:  the butter and the olive oil create a pretty big amount of sauce.  It's okay to use less of these two things, but make sure you use BOTH butter and olive oil because it tastes so much better!  Also, if you have to simmer this for longer than 10 minutes, it won't hurt anything.  It's delicious.  I usually serve this with mashed potatoes.  YUM!!  My stomach just growled...

2 comments:

  1. [...] creamy and smooth. Something tells me this would be the perfect side for Jenny’s Chicken Marsala. http://roseandjenny.wordpress.com/2010/07/29/chicken-marsala/ Spoon all that extra delicious sauce over these bad boys and revel in the perfection you just [...]

    ReplyDelete