Friday, January 21, 2011

Locker Room Rant

While this isn’t the typical material we include in this blog, I’m going to go out on a limb here because I feel the need to discuss an aspect of my typical morning at the gym I go to. 

Why is it that people feel the need to treat public locker rooms like their private bathroom at home? Honestly, I know there’s not a whole lot of privacy to be found, but come on! I refuse to change in public and immediately head for one of the changing stalls. I suppose it’s a good thing that some people feel comfortable with themselves and aren’t self conscious, but whoa nelly, there’s a line between openly changing and traipsing around in all your glory. Once I see your business, I can’t unsee it, no matter how hard I try to etch-a-sketch erase my brain of that visual.

There are two people that make me particularly uncomfortable. First, the lady who is very nice, but wants to strike up a conversation when she’s in the buff. Cover your lady bits before you try to make eye contact and speak with me! Please! Just because you have no boundaries with strangers doesn’t mean I don’t.

And the piece de resistance, the woman who has no concept of where she is. This is not your house. You don’t own the place. While I don’t want to see anybody flaunting themselves around, this woman is a special brand of pleasefortheloveofjeebusputsomeclotheson. She stands at the very entrance of the locker room, making it impossible to pass without maneuvering around her scantily clad bum. Am I wrong to think it’s rude to bend over and dry your hair and then stand there for 15 minutes applying makeup sans pants? She’s maybe 55 or so, and wears nude colored undergarments. Even though this happens everyday, it still plays games with your mind when for that split second you think you’re going to get an eyeful of ahhhh! In addition to the camouflage, the elastic has clearly seen better days. If your girls are competing for space with your belly button, you may need to look into more support. Also, if your bra is completely worn thin and you feel the need to bounce around as you collect your things, well, just don’t. Do not.

I don’t think I’m over reacting here. There is a line that can be crossed, no? What’s your opinion…am I a complete prude or is there a complete lack of common courtesy going on here?

No comments:

Post a Comment