Tuesday, August 27, 2013

Banana "Ice Cream"

We've all seen the Pinterest post that says that you can make ice cream out of one ingredient: bananas.  I have to admit that I was intrigued...partially because of my love of ice cream, and partially because of my hatred of bananas.  Could a food that I loathe turn into a food that I adore?  Is this true, or is this another case of false advertising on Pinterest?  I had to find out.

I have made this twice now.  I will say that no self-respecting ice cream lover could be fooled into thinking that this is actual ice cream.  That being said, it's actually kind of good.  I added a few ingredients in there to jazz it up a bit...and to cover up the taste banana, of course.

You Will Need:
4 very very ripe bananas
1.5 tablespoons natural peanut butter (optional)
1 tablespoon cocoa powder (optional)
1/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)

Slice up the bananas into little discs and throw them in a food processor.  Pulse until smooth.  Scrape down the sides of the food processor bowl, and add peanut butter and cocoa powder.  Pulse again.  Scrape down sides and add chocolate chips.  Pulse one more time (or you can stir them in, either way).  Put into a freezer safe container, and freeze overnight.  I used a very shallow one so that they would freeze a bit better.


I actually eat it for breakfast (because I'm a baby and I hate eating fruit, so this is a good way for me to get some fruit and protein in with the peanut butter).   Just wait until it thaws a bit so that you can use an ice cream scoop or spoon.  It's surprisingly rich and creamy.


Go forth and eat your bananas!

No comments:

Post a Comment