Tuesday, April 19, 2011

Asparagus Rolls

I'm back from my hiatus!  Sorry I've been remiss on the blog posting...as Rose so delightfully pointed out a few posts ago, I've been busy getting a new and exciting project started!

Anyhoo, Easter is almost upon us, which obviously makes me think of Easter food.  I mean, hello - obvious connection!  Here is one of my favorite appetizers of all time - it sounds a little odd, but try it...I promise you'll love it too.  Plus, asparagus is such a springtime vegetable - go for it!

1.5 lb loaf bread (I use sliced white bread, but you can use wheat or whatever you'd like)

8 ounces cream cheese, softened

3 tablespoons horseradish

14 and 1/2 ounce can asparagus spears (or you can use fresh asparagus spears that you precooked)

butter, melted

paprika

Remove crusts from bread, and roll bread in both directions with a rolling pin to flatten.  Mash the cream cheese and horseradish together, and blend thoroughly.  Spread the cheese mixture thinly on the bread.  Place one asparagus spear at the edge of the slice of bread, and roll up tightly.  Cut the roll into one inch pieces and place on a greased baking sheet.  Brush lightly with butter and sprinkle with paprika.  Refrigerate until ready to bake.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 350 degrees until golden brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment