Thursday, December 9, 2010

Chicken and Broccoli Casserole

When I was at home, I filched a bunch of my favorite recipes that my mom has in her cookbooks.  When my sister and I were kids, she used to make this kick-butt casserole that EVERYONE loved.  It was special food and comfort food at the same time.  Also, whenever we had this, we also had crescent rolls.  And who doesn't love those? 

Try this.  Classic flavors, pure deliciousness, and it makes me think of my mom. 

1 head broccoli, cut into pieces (i usually just use the florets but you can probably use all of it)

6 chicken breasts, cooked and cubed

1 can cream of chicken soup

1/2 cup mayo

2 teaspoons lemon juice

3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese

3/4 cup soft bread crumbs

2 tablespoons melted butter

Spread the broccoli pieces on the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish.  Layer the chicken on top of the broccoli.  Mix the soup, mayo, and lemon juice together and pour over the top of the chicken, making sure that most of it is covered.  Sprinkle the cheese, then the breadcrumbs over the top, and drizzle the melted butter over all so that the breadcrumbs will get nice and toasty.  Bake covered at 350 degrees for about an hour, until bubbly and very hot.

No comments:

Post a Comment