Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Cheesy Hashbrown Casserole

First, can I say that I can't believe I've missed two Photo Fridays in a row?  How terrible!  I'm going to attempt to make it up to you with this recipe and a promise that I will knock your socks off with Photo Friday this week. 

This recipe is my Grandma Jones's.  I think everyone probably has some version of this recipe in their back pocket, but I promise you that this is the best of them all.  I'm sure everyone probably always says that too, but can everyone else make an onion-hater into an onion-eater?  No.  I hate onions.  And my grandma made this...and I ate it.  I did not ask questions, I did not complain, I did not pick through the pile of deliciousness on my plate in search of rogue onions.  So there.

2 pounds hashbrown potatoes, defrosted

1/2 cup melted butter

1 teaspoon salt

1/4 teaspoon pepper

1/2 cup chopped onion (chop this finely...mince it, even!)

1 can cream of chicken soup

1 cup milk

1 cup sour cream

2 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese

topping:  2 cups crushed corn flakes and 1/2 cup melted butter, combined

Mix all ingredients together and pour into a 9x13 inch baking pan.  Spread mixture out evenly.   Sprinkle the corn flake topping over the top of the potatoes, and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.

Hello, is any people pleasing recipe easier than this one?  No!  This is a super simple side dish to serve along with your Christmas dinner.  Or any dinner.  Or you can make it on its own and eat it out of the pan with a fork and...oops.  That was just between me and the potatoes.  Not anymore!   Enjoy, everyone!

1 comment:

  1. "Gah! A rogue onion!" I will never forget you saying that as you picked over your dinner one night. :)

    ReplyDelete